Friday, October 12, 2012

Talk movies (Movie review)

Since my last movie review, I’ve had more than enough opportunity to watch some really great movies like the Amazing Spider man, the Expendables 2, Men in Black 3, Bourn Legacy, Resident Evil 1-5, etc. I’ve even had the pleasure of giving advice to a few friends in Lagos advice on which films are cinema worthy. Rather than talk on all the latest movies I’ve seen, I’ve decided to spend a little time talking on some not so recent films that I’ve enjoyed watching recently as well. Here they are:

Foster – Now this is one endearing movie I couldn’t stop gushing about after I watched it. A simple storyline by Jonathan Newman with start studded performances by Golden Globe winner, Toni Collette, Ioan Gruffudd (you probably remember him as Mr Fantastic from the movie Fantastic Four), the adorable Maurice Cole and so many other talented actors and actresses. It had hints of magical mystery which kept the film intriguing but what I loved best was the subtle message of hope and positivity which is reflected in the movie’s tagline: Miracles can come true. You want to know about the story? Well, here’s a teaser: Life was becoming a chore for high school sweethearts Zooey and Alec Morrison who had recently faced a painful tragedy that affected their ability to have kids. In a bid to move on, they decide to adopt a child but what they didn’t know was just how special the 7year old Eli (who showed up at their doorstep unannounced) would be to them. This is one 2011 English Comedy-Drama, you’ve got to watch.

Tempest - When I saw the DVD case of this movie starring Helen Mirren as Prospero, the exiled Duke of Milan and Djimon Hounsou as her brutish Caliban slave stranded on what seemed like an enchanted island, I felt compelled to watch this modern 2010 take of an old Shakespearean classic.
To my disappointment, it wasn’t all it was cracked up to be. For me I felt it was too theatrical for a movie, the conversations were in old English – rather than today’s English – which made it a bore and my least favourite moment was seeing Russell Brand play Trinculo, one of the comical lost sailors. What I did like was the story was brought to life in vivid pictures using visual effect, nice costume (although I wasn’t too fond of Djimon’s black and white patch mud covering), great acting and use of beautiful locations in Hawaii and New York soundstages. Uh, I also liked Ariel, the weird puckish spirit played by Ben Whishaw, which I had a hard time figuring if he was actually male or female. If you are a fan of Shakespearean work and live theatrical drama, then you might just enjoy this 1hr 20mins movie written and directed by Julie Taymor.

12 Rounds – Every once in a while, I indulge in watching what I call senseless action movies i.e. films with little or no meaningful storyline. Even though I liked the brief short storyline and its twist, I would like to put this 2009 American action flick directed by Renny Harlin (Director of popular action movies like Die Hard2, Cliff hanger, Deep Blue Sea and Mind Hunters) and produced by WWE Studios in that category. The hero of the day was none other than the emotionless John Cena, an WWE wrestling star who played Danny Fisher, a local police officer who got promoted for arresting a ruthless terrorist arms-dealer Miles Jackson (played by Aidan Gillen), whose girlfriend Erica Kessen got accidentally killed. A year later he’s back to even the score with 12 challenges and Fisher’s girlfriend’s life as the prize to be won. For a great chase, stunt, effects and funny dialogue, this is not a bad movie to watch in your free time.

Neverland – After watching a 2011 re-imagination of Treasure Island which starred Elijah Woods, I was curious to see what new twist can be added to the classic story of Peter Pan (not one of my favourite childhood fantasy stories). Since it was advertised as the prequel detailing why Peter Pan never wanted to grow old and why he and captain cook were enemies; I figured it would be a good watch.
At least I got to understand why people love the character Peter Pan; I enjoyed the fantasy of Neverland (except the poor visual graphics of the 8legged crocodile) and could better swallow Peter’s inability to age. There were a few things that I didn’t like such as the inappropriate attraction between Peter Pan and Aaya, the Red Indie princess, the boring last sword fight between Peter and Captain Hook where Hook lost his hand and worst of all for me was the Pirates lady Captain, Elizabeth Bonny. Rather than the characters flying to a place called Neverland, they were transported by a magical orb forged from a meteor shower. Even though the graphics wasn’t all that great, it was nice to see Bob Hoskins again as he played Smee, a role he played in Steven Spielberg’s 1991 version of Peter Pan called Hook. This 2011 Adventure Fantasy written by Nick Willing is a nice film to watch if you want to relax and you have four hours to spare.

The Duchess – I had seen the preview of this movie in 2008 but never got the chance to watch it. One night I stumbled on it on a local TV channel and couldn’t take my eyes off it, I don’t know what it is about 18th century period dramas and stories that keep me glued to my TV set.
This movie is based on Amanda Foreman's biography on the life of a young aristocrat, Georgiana Spencer, Duchess of Devonshire (played by Kiera Knightley). At age 17, she’s married off to the Duke (played by Ralph Fiennes) on the grounds that she produces a male heir with no knowledge of what joy of marriage, depth of love, pleasures of sex and strength of character truly mean. Despite becoming famous for her fashion and political aspirations, she fights inner demons in her secret closet like betrayal, adultery, giving up a love child, living together for more than 25years with her husband’s mistress, choosing between being loved as a woman and sacrificing that love to remain a mother. The uphill journey faced by women of old always brings tears to my eyes and once again I find myself appreciating this era in which I was born into. This 1hr 45mins movie which tells the tale of Princess Diana’s great-great-great-great-aunt is truly one to watch.

1 comment:

  1. interesting review. think i'll look out for NEVERLAND. thanx

    ReplyDelete

It has been ages since I used this blog to write anything. This doesn't mean I haven't been writing. But rather, I have been writing...