Friday, March 15, 2013

2013 Movie Talk

Hey guys, missed me? Even though I’ve been a wee bit busy with my cutie pie who turned one month old on the 12th of March, 2013, I can’t help but share a little something with you guys.

If you remembered my 2012 December post, I did mention a few films I would love to watch. As life would have it, I’ve been fortunate to watch them between January and now. I won’t be doing my usually analysis of them because time is of the essence and I do need to rest a lot to regain my body and my strength. I hope you still find it interesting.

1. Flight - Denzel Washington’s performance was stellar. His character brought to light the fact that no matter the good deed done by anyone in public service, there is a moral obligation to the people being served that must be upheld while on the job.

2. Brave - a cool Disney-Pixar collaboration with a moral story. Not many of these kinds of stories around these days. And no, it has nothing to do with women empowerment.

3. Les Miserables – this Broadway story brought to the big screen was set in ol’ France around the time of the French revolution. If you loved Sound of Music, you would love this film. The story is enchanting; Huge Jackman, Anne Hathaway, Russell Crow and the entire cast gave excellent renditions and performances.

4. Perks of being a WallFlower – adapted from a book by Stephen Chbosky who was also the director, this movie held one statement that would be ingrained in my mind for years to come because of the deep truth in it; “...we accept the love we think we deserve.” An emotional drama hidden behind a coming of age story.

5. The Possession – so I’m writing on this movie because of its genre (horror) and the fact that I didn’t expect Jeffrey Dean Morgan to be soo perfect for it. Even though it’s said to be based on a true story, I did hate the ending which like I tweeted gives the impression that evil cannot be contained. Such movies like this, the Grudge, The Woman in Black, etc not only talk of evil spirits possessing people but also seemingly winning/having their own way in the earth as though there is no greater power. As a Christian, I know from experience that all spirits are subject to power in the name of Jesus and are under our authority since we are seated in Christ in heavenly places.

6. Hobbits: the unexpected Journey – unexpected indeed. Everyone I k now who watched this movie was pissed that it was just a part of a trilogy. Since when did Hollywood become like Nollywood where almost all the movies are in parts to be continued? I enjoyed the movie nonetheless and would watch any Peter Jackson remake of J.R.R. Tolkien’s work.

7. Lincoln - after watching this movie which was partially adapted from the book, “Team of Rivals: A Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln” by Doris Goodwin, I had a profound admiration for Abraham Lincoln. His resolve to free the black slaves during the American Civil War by passing the 13th Amendment into the United States Constitution was amazing. Daniel Day-Lewis pulled off a flawless impression of the real dude. Worthy of all the buzz, nominations and awards.

8. Oz: the Great and Powerful – once again this film by Disney is another movie adapted from a book. The CGI effects were so cool, even the actors were thrilled to watch their own performance in the movie when it premiered. Nothing like the origin of a classic tale to bring light to lingering questions in the minds of those who never read the book.

9. Django Unchained - can my review be complete without this remarkable movie. I’ve always loved Quentin Tarantino’s work but this western movie was off the chain with humorous lines, unforgettable characters and excellent portrayal of roles. Christopher Waltz was indeed worthy of the Oscar, Golden globe & BAFTA awards he won. P.S. this was the first movie in which I absolutely hated Samuel L. Jackson’s Character which reminded me of Uncle Ruckus from Boondocks.

I could go on and on but I have to stop. Baby duty calls and my body demands rest. Till I can blog again, have a fab time in the month of March. Shout out to my Mom and Brother who are born in March same with my Dad-inlaw, Sister and Brother-inlaw. Love you guys.

3 comments:

  1. Ta...u knw me and I think 'an unexpected journey" was an awesome movie...and NO it ws nuffn like a nollywood flick...err...u gave by far too much words to d posession...lovely movie review tho.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fab pics.
    I hate the horror movies
    I love the perks of being a wall flower, Django, Les miserables.
    And I have only watched "The Flight"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really can be quite lazy when it comes to movies. I have had Les Miserables and Flight for a while, but I can't seem to have the will to sit down for two hours and see a movie (especially when there is a novel to read!) However this review is just the right motivation! I must (spelt MOST) see at least one of the movies this week.
    hanks Ann.

    ReplyDelete

It has been ages since I used this blog to write anything. This doesn't mean I haven't been writing. But rather, I have been writing...