Tuesday, January 29, 2013

THE NIGERIA OF MY DREAMS

I wake up in the morning and turn off the air conditioning because the room is chilling from consistent electricity. I turn on my television after devotion to see my leaders – presidents governors and Local Government chairpersons- share in details all the credible efforts they are making for my future children to have a better tomorrow. I eat healthy food and take a few supplements approved by NAFDAC certified as safe for consumption. Then I read the newspapers and see how investors are trooping into the country and causing our economy to bloom. I smile to myself and say a quick prayer of thanks to God for answers to prayers. I call my friends whose businesses are legitimately prospering and we chat of how we can improve the lives of the less privileged still in our society. As I drive to work, I say hello to the effective police force who are handling traffic, stopping defaulters breaking the speed limit and responding to a distress robbery-in-operation call. Yes, this is not a dream, it’s a reality. It is the fulfillment of a prophecy and multiple countless prayers offered by the saints on behalf of our land. It’s nothing but the Nigeria of my dreams, a world full of possibilities because we turned it over to God and chose to live by values that reflect selflessness and genuine interest in National growth.

You’ve heard of the 3mins video talk on cable called Africa Dreaming where artists come out and talk of their vision for Africa? Well, this is mine. Rather than restrict my thoughts to Africa which is already doing well by the way (especially countries like South Africa whose tourism industry is booming, Benin whose Pineapple juice exportation is doing well, etc). I decided to write on Nigeria, once known as the giant of Africa because of its vast human and natural resources which seems to still be poorly utilized. Why do I say so? If a country like Singapore with no natural resource and whose landmass is not equivalent to a single state like Lagos in Nigeria can be turned into a paradise of sorts then why haven’t we merited the title ‘The Giant of Africa’ in over 50years?

I am a firm believer in a better Nigeria; it is not an impossible goal. There are a lot of people who have not known any better than our current struggles as a nation but if only they can open their eyes and realize that their dreams or wishful thinking can become a reality; if only they act, their dreams will come true. A few individuals have taken up the responsibility to tell the youths, our future leaders, of the possibility of a better tomorrow. One of which is a friend of mine who has organized a regional campaign called Step Up Nigeria. To read more about it, go to www.stepup.imaginitmr.com or http://connectnigeria.com/articles/2013/01/28/beacon-of-hope-teenagers-as-step-up-comes-to-lagos/. The road I speak of is not one without obstacles neither is it one that can be reached in a decade but just as little drops of water make a mighty ocean, so also the little deeds we commit to now has the power to change our tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting one here. I actually was wondering just where you were heading to. then towards the end of that first paragraph i got an "aha" experience. quite creative. You may want to edit the write some more. a few grammatical errors which however fail to detract from the overall beauty of the piece. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete

It has been ages since I used this blog to write anything. This doesn't mean I haven't been writing. But rather, I have been writing...