Wednesday, January 16, 2013

A NEW YEAR, A NEW ME – FREE VERSE


It’s a new year, 2013. I’ve been racking my brain since my last post to come up with something that will be worth your time. I noticed everyone was putting up posts about how to approach the New Year, what resolutions to make and how to make them, yada, yada, yada. So I decided not to. Since I had done a movie fest for you, I decided to give that a break till maybe end of the month or next month, depending on if I can hold back from assessing most of the movies I’ve been watching. Even now as I’m typing this I don’t know where I’m going with it.

Many times my articles are well constructed with a lot of research and thought going into it and hardly do I get the time to just slack off and talk. Maybe it’s because I’m a tad too cautious of talking about things going on in my personal life. So, this year, forgive me if I come online and vent about things and people that piss me off or if I decide to share a piece of my life that you may consider dull depending on your preferences. I think I’ve earned the right to be unprofessional here every once in a while. I’ll still give you the variety of topics and personal views of mine that you so enjoy so fear not.

To jump start the year, here is a free verse I wrote years ago after being inspired by reading Martin Luther King Jnr’s actual speech. There’s a bit of heavy lifting at the end but hey, I just gave him props for the piece. I’ve never shown this to the public, hope you like it enough to give feedback/comments and share with your online community of friends.

I HAVE A DREAM SPEECH

I say to you today my brethren in the Lord, even though we are faced with difficulties in this life, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in Christ.

I have a dream that one day the Church will be full at 8am with lost souls and found coins sitting together in brotherhood serving the one true redeemer Jesus Christ our Lord.

I have a dream that one day while in a world conditioned to swelting with self or serving God from their comfort zones; one day right here, the hearts of every man will be transformed and committed to serving God just because they love Him. I have a dream that one day our desires and ethnic backgrounds will be reconciled to one dream and one dream only, to make heaven.

I have a dream today.

I have a dream that one day despite the fast growing membership of church, that we will all be united as one family under the heavens.

I have a dream that one day in the midst of gross darkness, the restlessness and the world’s apprehension, everyone in Christ will find peace. I have a dream today.

I have a dream that one day every youth in Nigeria and the world at large, whose loyalties were once pledged to the world, will find the church more interesting and solution driven that they’ll forsake their former lifestyles and pleasures in search of God’s truth, Jesus.

I have a dream that one day every valley shall be made low; the rough places shall be made plain and the crooked places will be made straight and the glory of the Lord shall be revealed and all flesh shall see it together. This is our hope.

This is the faith on which the body of Christ, the Church is built. With this faith, we will be able to hew out of the mountain of despair, a strong hope. With this faith, we will be able to transform the jangling disorder in our world into a beautiful place for Christ to reign. With this faith, we’ll be able to work together, pray together, struggle together, be imprisoned for the gospel together and stand for freedom together knowing that we will be free of this earthly tabernacle one day.

5 comments:

  1. Martin Luther has got himself some competition here! nice one! however just one small observation..."every VALLEY shall be made LOW"?i think either you change valley to mountain, or "made low" to exalted. you know valleys are low by default, u wan still lower them? na abyss them go turn to be that now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL @Ovie. correction noted and will be effected ASAP. but e be like say na so im talk am imself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice piece, Ann. I especially like the 'lost souls and found coins' analogy.

    Dreams, I believe, do come to pass.

    ReplyDelete

It has been ages since I used this blog to write anything. This doesn't mean I haven't been writing. But rather, I have been writing...